Thinking about converting to gas?
Oil vs gas. Get the facts about oil versus gas heating. Learn why over 13 million homes and businesses, and more than 30 million Americans, choose oil-powered heat vs. gas.
- Fuel oil is not explosive and heating oil only ignites by an advance burning system within an oil-burner or furnace
- Inhalation of fumes is not fatal unlike gas, which is known as “the silent killer” and is the leading cause of death from carbon monoxide poisoning in the U.S. There is a low possibility of carbon monoxide entering the home from heating oil2
- System malfunctions produce clear warning signs like smoke, odors or even soot before releasing carbon monoxide
- Gas heating conversions, involving tank abandonment or removal, plumbing, electrical, chimney work and ducting could run as high as $9,0003
- The Consumer Energy Council of America (CECA) stated it’s financially unwise for consumers to convert from oil to gas heat
- Oil heat is provided by many companies, all actively competitive industry. Gas heat is provided by one big utility – no choice and no competition
- Oil Creates 140,000 BTUs of heat per gallon vs. a gallon equivalent of natural gas produces 100,000 BTUs5
- Oil equipment is 16% more efficient on average than utility gas4
- Energy efficient oil heat system upgrades pay for themselves over a short time and add value to your home
- The hot water recovery rate of an oil fired water heater is twice as fast as a gas water heater and three times as fast as an electric water heater
- Over the past 20 years heating oil sulfur content has been reduced by 93%
- Oil burner emissions have been reduced to near zero levels, reducing overall emissions by 95%1
- In 2004, Oil and Energy Magazine reported that heating oil is more environmentally friendly in terms of emissions
Cleanliness and Dependability
- You burn 40% more natural gas vs. oil to receive the same heating equivalent as heating oil5
- When properly adjusted and maintained, new oil systems create absolutely no soot, dirt or odors in the home1
- Heating oil allows you to control your own personal oil supply–stored in your own property plus you choose how to use and conserve your power as you need it
Supply and Demand
- Despite global unrest and natural disasters, there is still an abundance of long lasting crude oil and world oil reserves.
- The U.S. is the world’s third largest oil producing country- half of the petroleum resources are domestic-and our largest supplier of crude oil outside the U.S. is Canada, so there’s no dependence on one nation or region for oil supplies.
As you can see, the facts speak for themselves. It’s the right decision to use oil heat. And you can count on Efficient Heating & Cooling Services to do everything to keep proving that right. Call us today at (518) 348-3900 to schedule your walk-through and estimate. Our primary goal is to save you money on your energy bills.
1 Source: Oil Heat Powered By Clearburn Science. The Clear Choice! NORA (National Oil Heat Research Alliance)
2 Source: Energy Answers Today Pocket Guide by Primedia www.energyanswerstoday.com
3 Source: Energy Answers Today – Your Guide to Economical & Efficient Home Heating Brochure by Primedia www.energyanswerstoday.com
4 Source: www.cityfuel.net
5 U.S. Department of Energy